BUT WHY DO PEOPLE TURN TO MUSIC MILL?
We’re picking up new clients all the time, so we’ve spent many years working out why they come to us and developing an understanding of specific needs. While they arrive in many ways and forms, they tend to fall into three broad groups:
PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER OR RARELY DONE MUSIC LICENSING OR SEARCHES BEFORE
In this situation it can be bewilderingly complex. Where do you even start? These people talk to us because:
- We have been in business for 22 years – longevity counts for a lot.
- We have a blue-chip list of agency Clients and seriously impressive Work pages.
- So they realise that we will be a safe pair of hands for their music licensing and searches.
- Or … they reach the same conclusion because a colleague recommends us – we get a lot of referrals.
PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN MANAGING SEARCHES AND LICENSING THEMSELVES
Typically they’ve had a gutful of all the hassles, and they just don’t have time to deal with the detail. They want:
- A music supervisor who has very deep expertise in the complex universe of music copyright.
- A collaborative partner who won’t take on the job and disappear into a black hole. They don’t want to be left in the dark, they want crystal-clear communication about what’s happening.
- An adviser they can trust to guide them and provide advice on all the tactical issues.
PEOPLE WHO WERE USING ANOTHER MUSIC SUPERVISOR
This group is looking to switch suppliers because their previous music supervisor, was, well … let’s call it less than adequate? Inconsistent perhaps? Unavailable once too often? These producers know how to judge a music supervisor, and they choose us for a variety of reasons:
- They want a supplier that has been doing it for a long time. Time enough to build up the expertise to be across all the minutiae of music licensing – they don’t want a supervisor who has only been in the business for a relatively short period of time.
- They want someone who is easy to work with, so they check the “reviews” on our Testimonials page to see what our clients say about us.
- They want to know that we will be available for them, all the time, nights and weekends if need be. It’s quite surprising how much business we pick up because agencies can’t get hold of their supervisor when they need them. Which is often right now.
- But most of all, if they have used a supervisor before, they know how important it is to have a partner who can be trusted to be professional … all the time. Attention to detail. Lightning-fast responses. Accuracy. Someone who can be relied on to do what they say they will do.
And all of them want to be confident that we will be able to negotiate the best possible price for the song … and get it over the line. That expertise only comes via long-term experience as music licence negotiators.
Then the most important “Why” question becomes “Why not give us a go?”